Car Accident Stats in Gwinnett County
Car accidents occur on Georgia roadways every single day. While they are unfortunately common, that does not make them any less frightening and overwhelming. Based on the most recent data from the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), here are some disturbing car accident stats in Gwinnett County from 2017 to 2021:
- The total car accident count is 165,135, and 27,285 of these crashes occurred in 2021
- The number of injuries is 64,716
- 291 people were killed, and 59 of these deaths occurred in 2021
Additionally, car accidents are the top cause of deaths resulting from injuries and the second leading cause of emergency room visits and hospitalizations in the state. Although many car crashes may be considered simple fender benders, a surprising number of people still sustain injuries from such accidents. In these cases, what usually follows is a lengthy physical, financial, and emotional recovery process that’s immensely challenging.
Simple Steps to Follow After a Georgia Car Accident
In the aftermath of a car crash, you’re probably disoriented, injured, and uncertain of what you should do next. To protect your legal right to pursue compensation for your losses, you should:
- Call 911 and the police and seek medical attention. Do not attempt to move injured people who can’t move on their own. Wait for emergency help to arrive.
- Even if you are not sure whether or not you are injured, err on the side of safety and go to the hospital to have your injuries checked out and documented. You’ll need these medical records for your claim.
- Talk to witnesses and take videos and pictures of the accident scene if you can.
- Get in touch with our Gwinnett County car accident lawyers for a free no-obligation review of your case. The earlier you discuss your case with a lawyer, the sooner they can start building your case and working to secure the settlement that will make you whole for all your losses.
Ideally, you should speak to a lawyer before you speak with the at-fault driver’s insurance provider. It is a statistical fact that injured people who have lawyers on their side receive much higher insurance settlements than those who don’t. This is particularly true for people who have suffered severe injuries and other associated damages.
Keep in mind that when filing a claim, you’re filing it against the at-fault driver’s insurer, not the driver personally, and insurers often intentionally try to offer a lowball settlement to close the claim for the lowest amount possible. On the other hand, your lawyer will calculate all the damages you should recover and ensure that you recoup all the losses you incurred.
Seek Legal Guidance From Our Seasoned Gwinnett County Car Accident Lawyers Now
For more information on what you should do after suffering an injury or losing a loved one in a car crash due to someone else’s negligent or intentional actions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Gwinnett County car accident lawyers at Banks, Stubbs & McFarland. To learn more about the best options for your specific situation and schedule your free consultation with our Gwinnett County car accident lawyers, call our office at 770-887-1209 or send us an online message.