Road Fatalities During the Thanksgiving Holiday Period
According to AutoInsurance.org, Thanksgiving is the 9th deadliest holiday to be on the road in America. There's an annual average of 391 fatal crashes across the country and a three-year total of 1,173. Thanksgiving is typically the busiest week of the year for American highways. AAA predicts that there will be 48.3 million people traveling in motor vehicles, 4.2 million by air, and another one million by bus, train, or cruise ship. Suppose you or someone you love becomes a victim this holiday season. In that case, it's crucial that you contact a skilled Georgia car accident attorney as soon as possible.
Last year, the Georgia State Patrol reported 24 fatalities across the state during a 101-hour period. This was twice the numbers from the previous year.
What Causes Motor Vehicle Accidents To Increase at Thanksgiving?
Multiple factors increase accidents around the Thanksgiving holiday. These include:
- Many people are out celebrating the holiday by drinking and then driving—typically, drinking and driving is more common during the Thanksgiving holidays than at other time of the year
- Roads that are more packed than usual
- Drivers with added family and financial stress
- Tensions generally run higher
- Some drivers are navigating unfamiliar areas
With many Black Friday sales starting on Thanksgiving afternoon or evening, it creates even more hazardous conditions for drivers. With more people traveling this year than last, thanks a decrease in COVID-19 cases, traffic could be in record numbers.
Even still, there's no excuse for causing a deadly accident around Thanksgiving or anytime of the year. Suppose you suffer an injury in a car accident or, worse yet, lose a loved one. In that case, you need to contact a well-versed Georgia car accident lawyer right away to learn more about what you can do to seek justice.
Other Injuries Caused by Thanksgiving Accidents
In addition to many deadly injuries caused by accidents that occur during the week of Thanksgiving, there are many others that accident victims sustain. For example:
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Bruising and other soft tissue injuries
- Lacerations and road rash
- Crush injuries
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI)
- Back injuries
- Disfiguring facial injuries and scars
- Limb loss and amputations
- Emotional and mental injuries such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Car accident victims should disclose and discuss all of their injuries with their Georgia car accident attorney. This will help maximize their compensation.
You Can Depend on an Experienced Georgia Car Accident Lawyer from Banks, Stubbs & McFarland
If an unexpected motor vehicle accident ruined your Thanksgiving or other holiday plans, it's imperative to know that you have legal rights. You can contact a seasoned Georgia car accident attorney at Banks, Stubbs & McFarland to learn more about them. Accident victims deserve to be financially compensated for their injuries and other damages. To schedule your confidential, no-obligation case consultation, call our office today at (770) 887-1209 or contact us online. We've successfully represented many injured clients and look forward to doing the same for you.