What to Expect During Your Car Accident Attorney Consultation
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), 1,504 Georgians died in road accidents in 2018. This research shows a 2.3 percent decrease from the 1,540 traffic deaths in 2017. But 2020 saw an upsurge in the fatalities on Georgia roads, raising them to 1,600.
The good news is that many car accident survivors can file claims for compensation for their injuries and losses, and this should be accomplished with the help of a car accident lawyer. But what should you expect during your first consultation? Here is what to expect when consulting a car accident attorney in Cumming and Forsyth County, GA.
Expect an in-depth case evaluation in your first consultation. The attorney won’t have clear details about your accident and its surrounding circumstances until you meet. After giving your side of the story, expect them to ask you questions regarding the following issues:
- If you contacted any insurance company and what you discussed with its representatives;
- Your current type of health and auto insurance;
- Any available witnesses to your accident and if you have their contact information;
- If you have spoken to any other parties about the accident;
- The nature of your injuries and medical treatment;
- How and when the accident occurred;
- Whom you think was at fault and why;
- Your losses’ general scope such as lost income and medical expenses.
Thorough Knowledge of Car Accident Cases
Your consultation with a Forsyth County car accident attorney will give you a chance to assess their competence. You should evaluate their experience, credentials, and awards. Further, you will be better positioned to know if they are the best fit for your case after you meet directly.
Explaining the Legal Process
You should also expect the car accident attorney to explain the legal process ahead. They will give you a systematic understanding of what will be happening in the background. This way, you will be better placed to cooperate with them as they work on your insurance claim or lawsuit.
Learn About Your Roles and Responsibilities
This initial consultation also informs you of your roles and responsibilities in the legal process. For example, an experienced car accident lawyer will explain:
- The importance of visiting your doctor regularly, honoring all medical appointments, and being extra-careful when discussing your case with other people.
- The value of honesty and transparency throughout the process.
- How to prepare for an insurance claim or lawsuit deadlines.
The Attorney May Choose Not to Represent You
Lastly, expect them to potentially decline to take your case. Although it rarely happens, some attorneys may turn down your case due to:
- A high existing case volume;
- Possible conflict of interest;
- Perceived problems in proving liability;
- The amount of damages is not sufficient to justify the costs of representation and litigation.
Don’t Wait to Call A Cumming Car Accident Lawyer
This is only a brief overview of what to expect from your first consultation with a car accident attorney in Cumming and Forsyth County, GA. Contact our team for a free consultation today. You may also call us at 770-887-1209 for more assistance.